Workshops / Trainings / Courses
- Sun13Oct201910am - 4pmThe Wilbury Clinic
Reducing the Risk and Impact of Burnout and Compassion Fatigue on Therapists and Their Clients.
A course for Therapists by 2Counsellors - Maria Russo and Andy Spencer
Sunday 13 October 2019
To book e mail Andy Spencer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 07760351733
This course will provide you with:
1. Some basic neuroscience to explain how our therapeutic potency can become compromised;
2. Ways of maintaining healthy levels of arousal within and outside the therapy room and the use of body anchors;
3. How the Transactional Analysis concepts of Drivers & Time Structuring can help us identify and reduce our personal risks;
4. The importance of mirror neurones for increasing empathy and protecting ourselves within the therapy room;
5. Tools incorporating the body, imagination and cognition for protecting ourselves;
6. Steps to heal yourself if you are already suffering from the negative impacts of your work; and
7, Ways to use these tools and strategies to help your clients reduce their own risks and heal if necessary.
We all want to be the best therapists we can be and offer good quality therapy. We invest a lot of our time and energy in our clients. That is fine - they deserve it and they pay us for it.
We also need to watch out for something: hearing our clients pain and supporting them through it can have a negative impact on us. The negative impacts can go unnoticed for quite some time and creep up on us and compromise our therapeutic potency. We are then no longer able to be the best therapists we can be for our clients. Ultimately if we turn away from these impacts we can become very ill and need to stop work to recover.
What we need is to develop our awareness so we can spot any negative impacts as soon as they develop. We then need to understand where they are coming from and take steps to protect ourselves and stop the process. Even if we become exposed to these negative impacts we can still take steps to heal ourselves even though we may need to put more energy into that healing.
So what are these negative impacts that we need to protect ourselves from and heal from if necessary? The main two are Burnout and Compassion Fatigue (CF). Burnout is associated with hight workload and an unsupportive environment. Symptoms include feels of hopelessness, feeling you cannot do your job effectively and being overwhelmed by the demands of your work. CF (also called secondary trauma) is associated with being exposed to other peoples distressing events. Symptoms include fear, difficulty sleeping, intrusive thoughts and images.
The good news is that it quite simple to take the necessary steps to protect ourselves from developing Burnout and CF as long as we catch it early and we can also help our clients do the same. There are also ways for us and our clients to heal if already suffering from it. The aim of this course is to show you how to do this.